DIY aquaponics is currently creating buzz alongside commercial aquaponics. The term aquaponics may sound like it is out of your league but in fact, it is actually a fun way for you to start growing plants in your garden more efficiently. You can also keep pet fishes if you wish to. This article will lay down the reasons why you must consider do-it-yourself aquaponics and how can you benefit from it without much difficulty.
Do-it-yourself aquaponics is becoming more and more popular today. With aquaponics, you can grow more plants in the same space. Aquaponics is also organic, thus, the plant produces you can harvest from your own Aquaponics are surely healthy and clean. You can ensure that your plant and fish products are free of toxic substances and residues. If you love eating greens and other veggies, fruits and fish, it would be best to create your own aquaponics at home and doing so will definitely prove to be a worthwhile activity.
In a nutshell, what is aquaponics?
Aquaponics is basically a type of Hydroponics where plants are allowed to grow directly from water instead of ground soil. The water where the plants are grown are supposed to be nourished which is the reason why the plants grow efficiently and in turn, become healthy organic produces.
The nutrients in the water where the plants are grown mostly come from fishes. A lot of pet fish owners opt for commercial aquaponics as it solves the problem of dirty fish pond water.
Fishes do not like to swim in dirty water. Thus, fish ponds need water pumps to keep clean water circulating. The aquaponics system works like a water pump, too. However, instead of throwing the dirty water away, it somewhat recycles the nutrients that come from the wastes of the fishes. The aquaponics system pumps the nourished water up to the plants. The plants’ roots will act as filters, and clean the water before it is returned back to the fish pond or tank.
Why consider DIY aquaponics: the benefits
There are a number of reasons why you should consider do-it-yourself aquaponics over commercial ones. These benefits are listed below:
- Do-it-yourself aquaponics will not cost you a lot. Creating your own aquaponics system is cheaper than getting commercial ones. Moreover, the energy that a homemade aquaponics will consume is normally little, too.
- An aquaponics system circulates dirty water and cleans it. Thus, the system itself is also being cleaned and you no longer need to bother about cleaning the system.
- Aquaponics doesn’t use soil. Thus, you won’t be bothered by weeds.
- Using aquaponics saves you from wasting energy and effort in watering your plants.
- Creating homemade aquaponics does not necessitate expert technical skills and expensive materials.